Retired, information for reference only. Click here for alternatives.
This is adafruit part 3308.
Fire up your engines because these are the hot-rods of toggle switches! Equipped with an aerodynamic clear protective casing, and a diffused white LED at the tip of the switch, this Clear/White LED Toggle Switch is sure to add some flair (and flare!) to your project.
Often seen on control panels, now you can mimic a racing car, fighter jet, submarine status panel, factory controls, or anything really. They will control virtually any accessory you can throw at them, with a rated voltage of 12V max, the LED lights up at 3V so you can use it with lower voltages too. They say "20 A" on the side but we recommend 1-2A max.
Since there's an LED inside, but only 3 pin, they're a little different to wire than most toggle switches.
- The anode (positive side) of the LED is connected through a resistor to the pin with a 'headlamp' (=D) symbol on it
- The cathode (negative side) of the LED is connected to the pin with the ground symbol, which is the pin that is sticking out the side of the switch.
- The switch connects and disconnects the (+) pin and the 'headlamp' pin
That means you have a few options for wiring:
- If you want to use the switch to turn on/off something, you can use the toggle to connect and disconnect the two pins on the bottom
- If you want the LED to always be on, provide 3-12V between the ground and headlamp pin
- If you want the LED to be on only when the switch is connected, provide 3-12V on the (+) pin and connect ground to the ground pin.
The protective cover will automatically turn the switch off when flipped closed, but you can simply remove it if it isn't desired.
- Switch Actuation Style: Rocker
- Insulation R: 500V DC 100M min
- Dielectric Strength: 1 Minute 1500V AC
- Operating Temperature: -25°C~+85°C
- Electrical Life: 10,000 Cycles
Product Dimensions: 66.0mm x 50.0mm x 18.0mm / 2.6" x 2.0" x 0.7"
Product Weight: 36.3g / 1.3oz